Join the spectacular hike to the abandoned ancient mountain farm Skageflå! Take breathtaking looks from unique viewpoints and listen to the stories of your local guide about the old life on the farm, the mountains and the people living at the Geirangerfjord nowadays.
The trip starts at the tourist information in the center of Geiranger with boat transport to Skagehola, starting point of the hike. From here we go up the steep and historical path to the farm Skageflå, situated around 250 meters above sea level. The path is challenging but in good condition and the most exposed parts are secured. After reaching the farm only half an hour later, the majestic view towards the Seven Sisters Waterfall and the mountain farm Knivsflå opens up to us. At Skageflå we will do a little walk around the houses, telling stories from the old days and there will be time to fill up with some energy, or just to take plenty of pictures.
Continuing from Skageflå, the path goes still steeply uphill. A short part is a little exposed, but mainly we walk in the forest for around an hour until we reach Homlongsætra at 544 meters above sea level. We will take you to our favorite viewpoints, including wonderful views to the waterfalls and farms further out in the fjord. At Homlongsætra you will enjoy your lunch.
From Homlongsætra the hike continues down towards Homlong. This part takes around one hour, and it is not as steep as it was before. From Homlong to Geiranger we walk along the fjord on a dirth road for 30 minutes.
The hike is demanding, but anyone with reasonable fitness, some full day hiking experience and a minimum of equipment can join.
- Duration: 5–6 hrs
- Route: Geiranger – Skagehola – Skageflå – Homlongsætra – Homlong – Geiranger
- Prices 2019: 4.500 NOK per tour for 1–5 persons / 6.500 NOK per tour for 6–8 persons
- Included services: 4–6 hrs Skageflå hiking tour with private guide, transportation by boat to the starting point
- Information: given by a personal guide in English
- Season: June to September
- Starting time: daily at 9:45 a.m.
- Meeting point: outside the tourist information building in the center of Geiranger
- Equipment needed: We recommend bringing a rain jacket and proper hiking shoes. Good sport shoes can be used as well.
- Lunch: Please bring enough food and beverages.