Winter cruise to the UNESCO world heritage area of Geiranger - peaceful, raw and wild
Three hours fjord cruise, 2.5 hours in Geiranger and three hours journey back to the coastal cruise ship in Ålesund. Lunch on the way to Geiranger, hot drink and snack on the way back. Bus in Geiranger, walk along the waterfall for those who would like to. Wear warm clothes and good shoes.
Join the raw, wild world heritage area of Geiranger Fjord
Join us on an unforgettable journey into the raw, wild and beautiful fjord landscape. Seize the unique opportunity to experience a popular World Heritage Site without the large crowds. Enjoy powerful and peaceful close contact with raw and rugged nature - whether you are here when the landscape is sparkling with autumn colors, when it is covered with snow and ice, or when it bursts with spring.
A completely different calm rests over the landscape in autumn, winter and spring: the air is sharper, the light clearer and the shadows deeper.
On the fjord boat
The trip travels with our modern fjord boat from the narrow straits in the coastal town of Ålesund and into the fjord towards the heart of the UNESCO area: Geiranger. While sitting comfortably in the fjord boat, you get to experience how the mood changes as the landscape changes: from the open horizons by the coast to the dramatic and more mysterious fjords inland.
The last half hour of the trip goes through the vast Geirangerfjord, past abandoned fjord farms, high mountains and mighty waterfalls. Maybe you go up on deck to get a light and refreshing shower of mountain water on your face?
Included in the trip is the Fjord Ranger from the World Heritage Center Norwegian Fjord Center. The fjord ranger will tell and explain how glaciers, rivers and other forces have shaped the landscape, about the great diversity of plants and animals that live here, and about people who found themselves in completely incredible places. You can ask Fjordrangeren about everything between heaven and earth (or between mountains and fjords).
We take you by bus to the spectacular lookout point Flydalsjuvet, where you get the chance to take iconic pictures of the fjord and Geiranger. We visit the Norwegian Fjord Center, which is an exciting visitor and information center for the West Norwegian fjord landscape and for the Geirangerfjord heritage area. In addition to a great interactive exhibition, there is also a café and a sale of local handicraft products.
Anyone who wants to, can walk the 'Waterfall walk' (327 steps) down the magnificent river at Norsk Fjordsenter and back to the boat.
10:30 Departure from the pier on the south side of 'Rutebilstasjon' (Bus Station) in Ålesund
Program on board:
• Program at Fjordranger from the World Heritage Center Norwegian Fjord Center
• Lunch 12:15
• Audio guide (12 languages)
13:00 Cruise through the Geirangerfjord
• Photography by the waterfalls «Dei sju systrene» and «Friaren»
13:30 Arrival Geiranger
Program in Geiranger:
• Bus to Flydalsjuvet, with iconic photography at a popular vantage point
• Visit to the Norwegian Fjord Center, with a guided tour and hot drinks
• Waterfall walk to / from Norsk Fjordsenter (optional)
16:00 Departure from Geiranger
Program on board:
• The fjord ranger is on the boat.
• We serve coffee / tea with something to eat.
• The kiosk is open with goodies from Geiranger: among other things chocolate and local beer.
19:00 Arrival Ålesund
You get to experience this:
• three fjords - Storfjorden, Sunnylvsfjorden, Geirangerfjorden
• Geirangerfjorden World Heritage Site, part of the West Norwegian Fjord Landscape, the only area in the country that is on the prestigious UNESCO World Heritage List due to its natural values
• exhibition at the Norwegian Fjord Center, authorized heritage center for the West Norwegian fjord landscape, a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
• Waterfall hike
• dissemination by a fjord ranger from the Norwegian Fjord Center
• The boat is wheelchair accessible, except for the upper deck of the boat.
• The boat can accommodate 50-120 people (maximum 2 wheelchairs).
• The excursion includes a boat trip, light lunch, coffee / tea with something to eat, fjord ranger lectures, visual experience in Geiranger, photography at Flydalsjuvet, visits to the Norwegian Fjord Center and waterfall hiking.
Winter Fjord Cruise