Winter Cruise to Geiranger UNESCO World Heritage Area - Peaceful, Raw and Wild
Three hour fjord cruise, 2.5 hours in Geiranger and a three hour return trip to the coastal cruise in Ålesund. Lunch on the way to Geiranger, hot drink and snack on the way back. Bus in Geiranger, walk by the waterfall for those who want. Wear warm clothes and good shoes.
Tickets only available ONLINE. No sale on board on the day.
Schedule pdf Meeting point: google link PDF Map
Join the untouched and wild world heritage area of the Geiranger Fjord
Join us on an unforgettable journey through the beautiful, wild and raw landscape of the fjords. Take advantage of the unique opportunity to experience a popular World Heritage site without the huge crowds. Enjoy a powerful and peaceful close contact with raw and rugged nature, whether you're here when the landscape glows with autumn colours, when it's covered in snow and ice, or when it bursts with spring.
A completely different calm hangs over the landscape in autumn, winter and spring: the air is crisper, the light clearer and the shadows deeper.
On the fjord boat
The trip travels with our modern fjord boat from the narrow strait in the seaside town of Ålesund and up the fjord towards the heart of the UNESCO area - Geiranger. Sitting comfortably on the fjord boat, you can experience how the mood changes as the landscape changes: from the open horizons of the coast to the most dramatic and mysterious fjords inland.
The last half hour of the journey passes through the vast Geirangerfjord, past abandoned fjord farms, high mountains and powerful waterfalls. Perhaps head up on deck for a light, refreshing shower of mountain water on your face?
Included in the trip is the Fjord Ranger from the World Heritage Center Norwegian Fjord Center. The fjord ranger will tell and tell about how glaciers, rivers and other forces have shaped the landscape, about the great diversity of plants and animals that live here, and about the people who found themselves in completely incredible places. You can ask Fjordrangeren about everything between heaven and earth (or between mountains and fjords).
We take you by bus to the spectacular Flydalsjuvet viewpoint, where you will have the opportunity to take iconic pictures of the fjord and Geiranger. We visited the Norwegian Fjord Centre, which is an interesting information and visitor center on the landscape of the West Norwegian fjords and on the Geirangerfjord heritage area. In addition to a large interactive exhibition, there is also a cafeteria and a sale of local artisan products.
Anyone who wants to can walk the 'Waterfall Walk' (327 steps) down the magnificent river in Norsk Fjordsenter and back to the ship.
10:30 Departure from the pier on the south side of 'Rutebilstasjon' (bus station) in Ålesund
Program on board:
• Program in Fjordranger of the World Heritage Center Norwegian Fjord Center
• Lunch 12:15
• Audio guide (12 languages)
1:00 PM Geiranger Fjord Cruise
• Photograph of the waterfalls «Dei sju systrene» and «Friaren»
13:30 Arrival Geiranger
Program in Geiranger:
• Bus to Flydalsjuvet, with iconic photography at a popular viewpoint
• Visit to the Norwegian Fjord Center, with guided tour and hot drinks
• Waterfall ride to/from Norsk Fjordsenter (optional)
16:00 Depart Geiranger
Program on board:
• The fjord ranger is on the boat.
• We serve coffee/tea with something to eat.
• The kiosk is open with Geiranger goodies: among other things, chocolate and local beer.
19:00 Arrival in Ålesund
You have the opportunity to experience this:
• three fjords: Storfjorden, Sunnylvsfjorden, Geirangerfjorden
• Geirangerfjorden World Heritage Site, part of the Western Norwegian Fjord landscape, the only area in the country to appear on UNESCO's prestigious World Heritage List due to its natural values
• exhibition at the Norwegian Fjord Centre, an authorized heritage center for the landscape of the West Fjords of Norway, a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
• Hike to the waterfall
• dissemination by a fjord ranger from the Norwegian Fjord Center
• The ship is wheelchair accessible, except on the upper deck of the ship.
• The boat has capacity for 50-120 people (maximum 2 wheelchairs).
• The tour includes a boat trip, light lunch, coffee/tea with something to eat, fjord ranger lectures, Geiranger viewing experience, Flydalsjuvet photography, visits to the Norwegian Fjord Center and waterfall walks.
Winter Fjord Cruise